Beetroot was never at the top of my list when I started fermenting. That changed when I saw some organic beetroot on special and thought I might give Beet Kvass. Now I love having a small glass of it morning and night. It has many health benefits - It has liver cleansing properties. In Europe it has been used for cancer therapy. It is a great aid to digestion, very cleansing and alkalizing. It helps with constipation and I have heard of it being used for kidney stones too. Of course it also has probiotics! Why not give this simple ferment a try? It can be drank as is or is a lovely alternative to vinegar in salad dressings.
- 4 beetroots (preferably Organic. If not organic, peel before chopping)
- 1 tablespoon Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt (2 tablespoons if not using sauerkraut juice)
- ¼ cup of sauerkraut juice
- filtered water
- 2 litre glass jar
- Wash beetroots and chop into small cubes. (Don’t grate as will ferment too fast and produce alcohol).
- Place beetroots in bottom of 2 litre jar.
- Add sauerkraut juice and salt
- Fill jar with filtered water.
- Cover with a towel or cheesecloth or airlock lid and leave at room temperature for 2 days to ferment.
- Move to the fridge after 2 days or when bubbles start to rise.
- Drink a small cup morning and night.