How to make water Kefir
Water kefir grains, 1/4 cup of sugar, filtered water, glass jar, Cheescloth, coffee filter or towel
- Heat 3-4 cups water.
- To make larger batches, use up to 8 cups water.
- Pour into glass jar. Dissolve ¼ cup cane sugar per 1 liter of water.
- Cool to 22°-30°c.
- Add water kefir grains. Cover with a coffee filter or cloth secured by a rubber band
- Place in a warm spot, 22°-30°c, for 24-48 hours.
- After culturing is complete, prepare a new batch of sugar water, (steps 1-4 above).
- Separate kefir grains from the finished water kefir. Place kefir grains in the new batch of sugar water.
- The finished water kefir is now ready to consume, flavor, or store in the refrigerator.
Avoid aluminum utensils when making water kefir. Stainless steel is acceptable• Before bottling water kefir, carefully inspect the bottles for cracks, as cracks can weaken the integrity of the containers.
We also recommend “burping” the containers daily during the second fermentation to release excess pressure. • Fermented foods often
have a sour but clean aroma and flavor. Never consume anything that smells off.