How to make Kombucha tea
A SCOBY, starter tea or white vinegar, ¼ cup of sugar, 2 x organic black tea bags, glass jar, coffee filter, cheesecloth or similar and elastic band to secure it.
- Combine 2-3 cups hot water and ¼ cup sugar in a glass jar. Stir to dissolve.
- Add 1½ teaspoons loose tea or 2 tea bags. Steep at least 10 minutes.
- Cool to 20°-30°F. Remove tea bags or strain loose tea leaves from liquid.
- Add ½ cup distilled white vinegar, Apple cider vinegar or starter tea.
- Transfer SCOBY from the initial batch to the cooled tea.
- Dampen a towel, cheesecloth or coffee filter with white vinegar; place on jar and secure with a rubber band.
- Allow the mixture to sit undisturbed at 20°-30°F, out of direct sunlight, for 7-30 days, depending on your taste.
- Pour kombucha off top of jar for consuming; retain SCOBY and ¼-½ cup liquid from the bottom of the jar to use as starter tea for the next batch.