Weigh down your fermented vegetables using this ceramic fermentation weight. Keeping vegetables weighted under the brine keeps the vegetables from drying out and can help prevent mold.
- Approximately 4 in. (10 cm.) diameter
- Fits our Fermented Vegetable Masters and similarly sized crocks and containers
- Two interlocking pieces for easy placement
- Food grade ceramic
- Hand wash with vinegar or warm water (do not use soap)
Instructions for use:
Rinse well before using, with vinegar or warm water. Do not use soap. Fill the fermentation vessel with the prepared vegetables leaving appropriate headspace, place the ceramic weights on top of the vegetables to ensure the vegetables sit under the brine. Cover the vessel if desired. Allow the vegetables to ferment. Remove the ceramic weight prior to storing or consuming the vegetables.
Composition of the Clay:
- Red Art, a base clay containing iron oxide, salt, and feldspars
- AP Fire Clay
- Gold Art, a base clay
- Om4 Ball Clay
Additional Manufacturing Information from the Craftsman:
I use a tried and true clay recipe I can trace back 80 years through various craftspeople I have known over the years.
The weights are not glazed but rather fired 2,350 degrees using an oxidation technique. This process vitrifies the body of the clay making the molecules so dense that water and other elements cannot penetrate the surface thus rendering the clay food safe.